Below is the list of the frequently asked questions that we receive from Ab Initio students. Look through it if you have any questions, however, if you do not find the answer you are looking for, feel free to contact us at [email protected]

BAA Training ground (theory) course

Am I allowed to keep the books?

Books and other additional material, f.e. Jeppesen Student Manual, belong to BAA Training. They can be borrowed from BAA Training library as well as Bristol ATP theory, Pooley‘s PPL and other books.

What to do if my CBT does not work?

If you have problems with your CBT, we suggest sending an e-mail (the e-mail address is provided on the CBT package/ homepage). Please note that you can install Bristol ATP theory software from one USB only twice.

How do BAA Training tests look like?

BAA Training tests are multi-choice tests with a pass score of at least 75% and a set time limit. The number of questions in the test varies from 20 to almost 100, depending on a subject. It is tailored in the same format as in CAA. The usage of mobile phones is forbidden during the exams.

Please note that you are not allowed to take an exam in CAA if the corresponding final test is not passed at BAA Training. Moreover, Modular ATPL Ground School Course, according to CAA requirements, must be finished within the period of eighteen (18) months. The period is calculated from the planned starting date of training until the last final exam taken at the academy.

Why do I have to take the progress tests?

You have to pass all progress tests in order to be allowed to take the final test.

Can I start flying if I have not passed all of my final tests?

Unless you are told otherwise by BAA Training, you are not allowed to begin flight training before passing all the final tests. Please note that ICAO English language proficiency test has to be passed before the flying season.

What will happen if I skip lectures?

Your attendance is being monitored and registered in the class journal by the instructor. If you skip a bigger number of lectures, you will not be allowed to take the final test. Moreover, you are not allowed to be late for classes. Please check Student Code of Conduct for more details.

What should I wear during BAA Training ground (theory) course?

All Ab-Initio students must wear uniforms from Monday until Thursday. On Friday jeans and T-shirts are allowed. While uniforms are tailor-made, students are allowed to come to lectures wearing tidy pants and shirts. During a flight season, students must wear pilot-student T-shirts. Please note that both at the academy and at the aerodrome student’s identification cards must be worn all the time.

If I fail my test, can I re-take it on the same day?

The answer is NO. Take time to re-think your mistakes and revise training material.

Do I have any vacation?

Sure you do! You will have a few weeks off during the Christian Christmas and New Year. In addition, you may have some vacation after finishing the Ground Course (before the Flight Training starts), but only if time allows. Please note that Ab-Initio training department must be informed by e-mail or phone call regarding your absence from the classes due to any reason.

My ground instructor is the best!

We really appreciate your opinion and after each Ground School Subject we will ask you to fill in a short, anonymous form to evaluate your instructor, training material quality and other personnel.

CAA Examination

How should I register for CAA Ground exams?

Go to and set up a new account. The bilingual (Lithuanian/English) website is quite straight-forwarded. The only catch may be the “Select’ option dropdown – here you should choose ACQUIRE LICENCE option.

Where is the CAA Ground exam room?

The CAA ground exam room is located in “Litcargus“ building (3rd floor, Room 4). The main entrance to the building is between gates 1 and 2. Having reached the door on the 3rd floor, ring the doorbell. For more information please call +370 273 9013.

When can I start taking the CAA Ground exams?

You are allowed to start taking the CAA Ground exams after passing the corresponding Final Tests at BAA Training. It is necessary to have ground school completion certificate signed by Head of Training or other person in charge. It is allowed to start CAA examinations before finishing all theoretical subjects at BAA Training. Please note that you must start taking exams at CAA less than in 12 months after the notice to CAA is sent.

What am I allowed to use and how should I behave during the CAA Ground exams?

During the CAA Ground exams, you are allowed to use the following:

  • Calculator (non-programmable, with no special aviation functions and text memory)
  • Navigation computer
  • Protractor
  • Calipers
  • Ruler
  • Printed exam annex
  • Paper for notes and calculations
  • Dictionary

All of the above, except a dictionary, are provided by CAA. You are allowed to use dictionaries only in a format of a book (no digital dictionaries or self-prepared ones). You are also allowed to bring your own calculator, navigation computer, protractor, calipers and ruler. However, the examiner may disapprove the use of your own tools if they do not meet the requirements. Exam annex is provided by CAA and you are not allowed to bring your own. It is forbidden to talk to others, except the examiner, during the ground exam. Mobile phones must be switched off during the examination.

What happens if I am caught cheating during an exam at CAA?

In case you are caught cheating, your exam will be terminated and you will be allowed to take it again only after 12 months since the occurrence. Please note that all passed exam results will be cancelled and CAA, belonging to EASA, will be informed regarding this occurrence.

Can I take the CAA Ground exam any day?

The exam taking days at CAA are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8 am to 4 pm. On Wednesday CAA does not accept any visitors.

How much time do I have to pass all the exams?

You have to pass all of the CAA exams for PPL/ATP within the period of 18 months from taking the first one. Please note that both PPL ant ATP exams are restricted to 6 sessions. One session lasts 10 exam taking days from the first exam taken during the session. During one session you are allowed to take as many exams as you want. Nevertheless, you are not allowed to re-take the failed exam during the same session. Our advice would be to plan taking all of the exams in no more than 4 sessions. That would allow you to have 2 sessions as a backup in case you fail an exam or two.

How much does it cost to take one Ground exam at CAA?

One exam fee at CAA is 2,9€ for PPL and 5,7€ for ATPL. It means that if you manage to pass all of your exams at the first attempt, you will pay 23,2€ in total for PPL exams and for ATPL exams – 79,8€.

When should I pay for my CAA Ground exams?

Normally, you are asked to pay after passing all the exams. However, you are able to pay after each exam taken. Do not worry, CAA personnel will personally remind you about the payment and the amount you have to pay. When you will be ready to make a payment, please find CAA account details below.

How much will I pay for the issue of my licence?

An issue of PPL(A) licence costs 28€, CPL(A) costs 118€. The CAA licence issuing office is located on the 3rd floor of the CAA building (Rodūnios kelias 2, Vilnius), room No. 311.

Bank account details for CAA payments

When presenting this note to the Bank Manager, please indicate the details (reason) of payment and amount correctly.


Įmonės pavadinimas VMI prie Lietuvos Respublikos finansų ministerijos
Company name State tax inspectorate under The Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Lithuania
Įmonės kodas 188659752
Legal entity code 188659752
Įmokos kodas 5768
Payment code 5768
Mokėjimo paskirtis Už piloto licenciją/Už medicinos pažymėjimą
Details of payment (reason) For a pilot licence/For a medical certificate


AB Šiaulių bankas 71800 LT32 7180 0000 0014 1038 CBSBLT26
Danske Bank 74000 LT74 7400 0000 0872 3870 SMPOLT22
Nordea Bank 21400 LT12 2140 0300 0268 0220 NDEALT2X
AB “Swedbank” 73000 LT24 7300 0101 1239 4300 HABALT22
UAB Medicinos bankas 72300 LT42 7230 0000 0012 0025 MDBALT22
AB „Citadele” bankas 72900 LT78 7290 0000 0013 0151 INDULT2X
AB DNB bankas 40100 LT74 4010 0510 0132 4763 AGBLLT2X
AB SEB bankas 70440 LT05 7044 0600 0788 7175 CBVILT2X

ICAO English level examination

When should I take the ICAO English test?

You have to take ICAO English language proficiency test before the start of the flying season. Please note that you will not be issued any licence (PPL or CPL) without the ICAO English (at least level 4) Certificate.

What is the price of ICAO English test and when will I get the results?

The assessment price is 90€ and the results are usually received within 5 working days. If you want to receive the test results the following day, an additional 30€ fee will be charged. Payment must be made in cash at the assessment centre.

Where is ICAO English Assessment centre located?

ICAO English Assessment centre is located in Vilnius, Rodūnios kelias 34.

BAA Training practical course

When does the flying season start?

The flying season usually starts in March and ends in October, depending on the weather conditions.

When will I be allowed to start flying?

You will be allowed to start flying when you finish Ground School, pass all final tests at BAA Training and get the necessary documentation.

Which aircraft will I be flying on and who will be my instructor?

Each student will be assigned an aircraft and instructor for each phase of the flight training.

Do I have any vacation during the Flight Training?

During the flight training students do not have any vacation unless informed differently by BAA Training.

Where will I be based for the flying season?

For the flying season you will be based either in Kaunas, Darius and Girenas Aerodrome (ICAO: EYKS), which is 100km away from Vilnius or Istra aerodrome in Panevezys which is 130km away from the capital city of Lithuania. Regarding accommodation, you will have two options: move to Kaunas or Panevezys or stay in Vilnius and travel to Kaunas or Panevezys on the days your flights are scheduled. Please note that BAA Training can assist you in finding accommodation in Kaunas or Panevezys.

What is FNPT II?

FNPT II is a Flight Navigation and Procedures Trainer. It is mostly used for practising Instrument flights in a cockpit similar to the real aircraft. The FNPT II is said to be more difficult to operate than the real airplane as there are features of changing weather and other conditions, repositioning the aircraft, tracking progress on the screen and freezing the flight whenever needed.

When should I fill in my logbook?

Your logbook should be filled in after each flight and countersigned by your instructor. Please remember that after finishing your flight training you will need to make a summary of your logbook, so try to keep it clean. A tip: It is a good idea to keep an electronic version as well.

Price list

Medical check
Initial medical check for Class 1/ Class 2 Medical Certificate (for men)  296,60 €
Initial medical check for Class 1/ Class 2 Medical Certificate (for women) 308,78 €
Revalidation of Medical Certificate From 37,26 €
Civil aviation administration (CAA)
PPL theory exam 2,9 €
ATP theory exam 5,7 €
Class rating (f.e. . SEP(land), MEP(land)) 11 €
The issue of PPL (A) licence 28 €
The issue of CPL (A) licence 118 €
ICAO English test
ICAO English test 90 €
ICAO English test (results the same day) 120 €

Other important questions

Can I get the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) while studying at BAA Training?

While studying at BAA Training, you can get an International Scholar Card, which will give you a lot of benefits (more information Before ordering one, ask for a written confirmation of your student status at BAA Training (Training department).

Will I get transportation service of BAA Training shuttle bus to school?

The BAA Training shuttle bus provides the transportation service free of charge only for students living at BAA Training approved accommodation facilities. Please note that pick up time must be arranged in advance. If you decide to rent an apartment on your own, you are also in charge of getting to the academy. Undoubtedly, BAA Training staff can always help you to arrange your trip by public or other types of transportation. Please note that it is obligatory to inform BAA Training (Training department) regarding changes of your accommodation, e-mail address or local phone number.

Where can I find information and schedules of public transport in Vilnius and Kaunas?

Regarding public transport in Vilnius, you can visit On this website you will be able to find public transport schedules, ticket fares and much more useful information. Please note that if you buy a ticket on a bus, it costs more and you must mark it. The other way of paying for you trip is by electronic card, which can be bought and charged at any convenient store (e.g. “Spaudos kioskas” or “Narvesen”). Please remember to activate it every time you get on a public transport vehicle.

The train schedule from Vilnius to Kaunas and ticket fares can be found on Please note that it is cheaper to buy a ticket at the train station than on board. The bus schedules from Vilnius to Kaunas can be checked on The ticket fare depends on route and the carrier you choose. However, there is no difference in price whether you buy a ticket at a bus station or on board.

For public transport schedules and ticket fares in Kaunas, you can visit

If needed, where can I get some medical assistance?

For general medical assistance, we would suggest you visit private hospital “Baltijos – Amerikos klinika” (located at Nemenčinės pl. 54a, Vilnius). Please check for more information. In case of dental emergency, you can contact “Žalgirio klinika” (Žalgirio g. 115, 117, Vilnius). Registration available by phone: +370 52727367 or +370 52727334. In case of emergency, call 112. Please note that private hospitals charge more for their services than the state ones.

How can I open a local bank account?

It is really easy. You just need to go to a bank and say that you want one. Make sure you bring your passport and resident permit. If you still do not have one, a copy of your study service agreement or a confirmation from BAA Training about your student status will do perfectly. The bank security office will take around a week for your background check. It is important to remember that different fees may apply.

What can I do in Vilnius during my free time?

There are a lot of different kinds of events going on in Vilnius all year round. Please visit for up-to-date information.

Temporary Residence Permit

A temporary residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania is a document granting an applicant the right to temporary reside in the Republic of Lithuania for a period specified in the permit.

The applicant has the right to choose one’s place of residence in the Republic of Lithuania, change it, depart from and return to the Republic of Lithuania during the period of validity of the granted residence permit. Therefore, a person must declare one’s departure when leaving the Republic of Lithuania for a period exceeding six months.

A temporary residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania is issued to an applicant who is a citizen of a non-EU Member State. It is usually issued for a period of one year, although it may also be issued for a shorter or longer period.

Step 1: Meet a visa support manager at BAA Training

As soon as a student arrives to BAA Training, he/she must immediately come to a visa support manager with the necessary documents:

  • Criminal record with apostille or legalisation stamp. The criminal record should be issued in the student’s country of residence, be valid for the past two years and not be older than 6 months. For example, if a student had residence permit in two different countries during the past two years, he/she should bring two criminal records accordingly.
  • Bank statement with an indicated balance, which should be not less than 200 EUR/1 month (2,400 EUR/1 year; 2,400+2,400 EUR/2 years). The bank statement can be issued in Lithuania or in a student‘s home country. If a student does not have his/her bank account and wants to present his/her parent/sponsor’s bank statement, the parent/sponsor has to sign a permit and commitment to finance. This document should be confirmed by a notary.
  • Parents’ approval. If a student is under 18 years old, he/she should present the notarial approval from his/her parents so that he/she is allowed to live and study in the Republic of Lithuania.
  • Passport. A student should check his/her passport validity as it should be valid for not less than 6 months before the end of the planned TRP.
  • 2 photos for documents (4×6).

NB all the documents should be translated into the Lithuanian language. A student could either provide documents translated into Lithuanian or could ask a visa support manager to help on this matter.


A visa support manager:

  1. checks the validity of a visa and a passport;
  2. photocopies the pages of the passport (all the pages with stamps, visas, resident permits in the passport are printed);
  3. foresees a possible appointment at the Migration Board for document submission;
  4. asks the student to provide his/her e-mail address and phone number;
  5. explains what documents are needed for TRP (each case is individual).

In one week a visa support manager prepares the documents for TRP and e-mails a student once they are ready to collect.

Step 2: Document submission at the Migration Board

A student should submit his/her documents at the Migration Board 4 months before the end of his/her legal stay by a general order or 2 months before the end of his/her legal stay by an urgent order.

A student can make an appointment online ( or directly go to the Migration Board without making an appointment in advance and wait in the queue. In case one does it online, he/she should inform a visa support manager about the date and time of submission.


At the Migration Board a student should have:

  1.  passport;
  2. credit card to pay for TRP (86 EUR (general order) or 172 EUR (urgent order));
  3. package of documents prepared by a visa support manager (Letter of Mediation from BAA Training, 2 filled in forms, a criminal record with its translation, a bank statement with its translation, parents‘ approval to live and study in Lithuania with its translation (if a student is under 18), a contract with BAA Training, a copy of the passport and a visa, a document with the declared place of living or hotel acceptance and additional BAA Training documents including visa support manager authorisation).

Step 3: Decision from the Migration Department

After document submission for TRP, the wait for a DECISION can take either 2 or 4 months (depending on which order he/she applied for at the Migration Board). The decision is sent to an e-mail address indicated in the application form.

Step 4: Formalization at the Migration Board

When the DECISION (which is valid for 3 months) is made, a student has to immediately go to formalise it. It is important to formalise being LEGAL in the Republic of Lithuania, e.g. if your visa is valid until 23rd October and you go to formalise it on 24th October, you are not legal and have to leave the country. Formalization could be done even on the last day of the student‘s legal stay. After a student formalizes it, he/she is legal in the Republic of Lithuania for the period of TRP.

After the formalization, a TRP card is issued within 5 or 10 working days. It depends on the type of order (general or urgent).


At the Migration Board a student must have:

  1. passport;
  2. credit card to pay for formalization (28 EUR by a general order, 56 EUR by an urgent order);
  3. document with the declared place of living or hotel acceptance (if a student did not submit these previously);
  4. Medical insurance – the coverage of insurance should be 6,000 EUR; it must be valid in the Republic of Lithuania for the TRP period (a visa support manager could help to order the required insurance; payment for insurance is done by a student)


There are two types of insurance, which could be ordered by a visa support manager:

  • With deduction of 58 EUR – cost for 1 year around 60 Eur. (e.g. if your treatment costs 100 EUR, you have to pay 58 EUR and the rest of the amount is covered by an insurance company).
  • Without deduction – cost for 1 year around 130 EUR (e.g. if your treatment costs 100 EUR, the entire amount is covered by an insurance company).

Regarding TRP extension, the appointment at the Migration Board should be made 2 months before the end of TRP by a general order or 1 month before the end of TRP by an urgent order. For TRP extension, you should follow the same steps listed above.

Additional information regarding the TRP procedure

Please be informed that the Migration Board works under the rules and law of the Republic of Lithuania. The regulations and law change depending on internal cases of the State, which we cannot influence or foresee. Each case regarding documentation is individual and different.
The address of the Migration Board in Vilnius: Naugarduko str. 100, Vilnius.



  • TRP documents submission: 86 EUR by a general order; 172 EUR by an urgent order;
  • formalisation: 28 EUR by a general order; 56 EUR by an urgent order;
  • medical insurance (from 60 EUR to 130 EUR);
  • translation (English/Russian into Lithuanian 1,500 symbols with no spaces – 10.80 EUR+VAT).

If you require further information, do not hesitate to contact us!

How to apply for Schengen visa?


Please be advised to make an appointment at the embassy as early as you can to avoid the last minute visit and extra stress to be late to training. You should apply to the embassy at least 3 weeks before your trip to Lithuania.

NB: It is important not to be late and come to the embassy at least 5 minutes before your appointment to show you respect the rules and regulations of both the Schengen agreement and the embassy.


Invitation letter

To get the invitation letter, you will be asked to provide the following information:

  • The photocopy of a passport and licence
  • The address in your home country
  • The exact purpose of your visit
  • The exact dates of your arrival/departure
  • The name of the hotel you intend to stay
  • The embassy you are going to apply to

List of documents

1. Invitation letter

NB: It is advisable to provide additional proof of commercial relations with the inviting company:

  • For a self-sponsored person: the contract with BAA Training, JSC; a receipt of the payment for your training. The period of the validity of the contract should match with the dates provided in the invitation letter
  • For pilots from airlines: the introductory letter from the company providing the purpose of your travel, the period of stay and the position you take. The period of validity of the contract should match with the dates provided in the invitation letter

2. Visa application form.

NB: Please be accurate when filling in the application form and check if dates, hotel name and travel purpose match with the information provided in the invitation letter.

3. Photo

4. Passport

The passport as well as all the photocopies of your previous visas valid for at least 3 months prior to your departure are required. The passport must have at least two blank pages.

5. Round trip reservation

Round trip reservation or itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from the Schengen area.

NB: Please make sure that the dates of the round trip reservation match the arrival/departure dates in the invitation letter. If your trip includes several Schengen countries please pre-book travel tickets to all of them.

6. Travel health insurance policy

This health insurance policy has to cover expenses up to 30,000EUR, the total sum depends on the number of residing days. It has to be valid in all Schengen countries, too.

7. Proof of accommodation

Proof of accommodation for the entire duration of the intended stay in the Schengen area.

NB: Please make sure that the information in the statement for your proof of accommodation matches with the information in the invitation letter/application form/travel tickets.

8. Proof of civil status

Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, children birth certificates, death certificate of spouse, etc.)

9. Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence during the intended stay in the Schengen area.

NB: It is advisable to provide:

  • The proof of your spouse/parents’ property in your home country that would warrant your return back to your country;
  • Proof of employment/income of the last 6 months:
    • If employee: salary slips of the last 6 months + bank statement of the account your salary comes in for the last 6 months;
    • If employer: all documents related to the company (tax clearance certificate, personal income certificate, etc.);
    • If retired: all documents proving the income of your pension for the last 6 months.

In addition, it is advisable to provide the following:

  • Pilot licence or certificates of completed studies/training;
  • A cover letter which includes and explains the purpose and the importance of your travel.

Visa processing time

Visa processing time differs from one embassy to another. The standard procedure of visa issuance is 15 days. If there is a need for additional interview/consultation, the processing time is prolonged up to 4 weeks.

Notes and advices

Is the list of documents mentioned above the full list of all the documents needed at the embassy?

The list of documents mentioned above is the general list of documents required for the Schengen visa. Before an appointment at the embassy, please check the required list of documents on its website.


Why did the embassy reject my visa?

Each embassy you are going to apply to is very strict with the precision of the documents and regulations of the law. Therefore, revise your documents twice and check them before your appointment.

NB: The final decision for your visa and visa period strictly depends on the embassy and Schengen States regulation.


Which embassy is better to apply to?

It is always better to apply to the nearest embassy of the Republic of Lithuania for the visa process to be faster and smoother.


Why did the embassy issue a 90-day Schengen visa for a period of 6 months rather than in the period of 1 year or longer?

If you have never received a Schengen Visa before, the embassy will not issue a 90-day Schengen visa for a period of more than 6 months. However, applying next time, the visa issuance will be smoother as you can get a 90-day Schengen visa in a period of 1 year or longer.


What if my visa is with a shorter period of validation than it needs to be to complete training?

Sometimes the embassy could issue a visa with a shorter period of validation than it needs to be to complete your training. If you find out that the period of visa validation is not enough to finish training, you should apply for a new visa again as the visa extension process in the Republic of Lithuania or other Schengen states is often complicated.


Can I enter the Schengen area through the country which is not the one I received the Schengen visa through?

First of all, you are required to visit the country you received the visa through and later travel to other countries in the Schengen area. However, if your country of destination differs from the one you received the Schengen visa through, please be sure to have the entry letter from the country of your first visit to avoid any misunderstandings at the Border of the Airport.

If you have any questions, please contact us!